Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Frank Nealon Boston Tune-Up 15k


Here is a down and dirty race report for the 2nd race in the USATF-NE GP.  The Frank Nealon Boston Tune-Up 15k.  A race I have never run and a race it seems pretty much no one I knew had ever run it either.  I read run course previews and I thought the course would be somewhat similar to the Old Fashioned 10 Mile in Foxboro, MA.  In hindsight, I think the course was a tad harder than Foxboro, border lining on Amherst….without the really big hills that Amherst has.

The race itself for me went pretty well.  I was hoping to break 54 mins and get as close as I could to 53:30 if all went well.  I ended up running 53:47.  So, pretty much smack dab in the middle of my goal range.  I felt like I executed the race reasonably.  My first mile was 5:45 right on pace and I raced well against the people that I was around.  I think the biggest take away for me was that I finished closer to a pack of runners that were around a minute up on me at New Bedford and also beat some others that were ahead of me there.

Napping near the start...

I do think I got a bit complacent in the last mile or so, I was OK with breaking my goal time and certainly didn’t give it “all I had” in the last half mile or so, you can see by my "taking a nap photo" You can check out more of Ted Tyler's pics HERE

Napping near the finish...

The next race in the GP isn’t until June, so I have plenty of time to either get in better shape or lose motivation all together!  I have a lot on my plate before then to keep motivation up though.  Next up is Doyle’s Emerald Necklace this coming Sunday, followed by the Merrimack River Trail Race on 4/14/18.

No comments:

Post a Comment