Monday, March 19, 2018

2018 New Bedford 1/2 Marathon


First race in the USATF-NE GP happened.  That’s about all I have to say about it!  Overall, the conditions were pretty good.  It was cold at the start, but felt warm in the back stretch.  The wind was typical New Bedford wind.  It sucked, but it was WAYYY worse last year.
I went in thinking I could run sub 5:50 pace, but it was evident early that I was not running as comfortable as I would have liked.

Miles 1 thru 4 I started well, not getting pulled out too fast and didn’t attack the hills, just got through them.  I was 543-555-605-608.  I was really surprised with miles 3 and 4.  I thought they would be slightly faster.

After 4, you have the fast section of NB.  I still didn’t feel overly comfortable.  I thought it should feel a bit easier than the effort I was putting out.  But, I was able to get into somewhat of a groove and finally felt like I was at least giving it an honest effort.  I was 535-540-532-553-545-554 through 10 miles in 58:12 or so.  I was happy with the 10 mile split, but I definitely had to work way to hard for that time.

Now the fun begins…9 to 10 was already windy and you have to fight it through 11 and then on and off all the way up the hill through about 20k.

The mile 11 mark was put in the wrong spot, but I was 1215 10 to 12 and then 603 for 13. 
Official finishing time of 1:17:19, a tad faster than last year, but still shit slow.

With my lack of any real work outs, I am not overly surprised that the pace felt like it did, I have OK general fitness right now, but I really did not do my self any favors over the last month with neglecting the longer work outs.  I blame the cold and snow.  Yup…that’s what it was.
New GP race is in 2 weeks.  Not much time to help the fitness, but I will give it a whirl!


No comments:

Post a Comment