Sunday, April 6, 2014

2014 South County 4th Season Trail Series

Well, the 2014 South County 4th Season Trail Series has come to a close.  This is the second year that I completed the series and my 2nd series victory.  Both years I was certainly not the fastest guy out there, but I haven't missed a race and I am pretty consistent.  So I have been pretty lucky to get these wins.

Here are my finishing places for all of my races over the 2 years....in Garvin Format.




And a brief recap of what sticks out for each of these races.

Race #1 - Old Mountain Field 5k Trail Race - 1/4/14 (Scott Mason Photos)
  • Ran the Boston Marathon Course three days before this race
  • Snow and cold...single digits.
  • Felt oddly relaxed and made a big move at 2 miles to beat much faster competition.
  • Won a mixed pack of Samuel Adams Winter Beer
Right after taking the lead.

Race #2 - Resolution 5k Beach & Trail Race - 1/12/14 (Scott Mason Photos)
  • Water...it was everywhere.
  • Fast start, Ryan Wooley took off quick..he has run 30+ seconds than me in a road 5k as of late so it was a good plan.  I was content to take second about a mile in.
  • Great day down at the beach
  • Won some BBC bombers
Group shot post-race.

Race #3 - Belleville Pond 10k Trail Race - 2/9/14 (Scott Mason Photos)
  • SNOW!! Lots and lots...
  • Horrible Trail Conditions
  • Strip tease and overheating
  • I miss that glove
  • Long cooldown across the pond
  • Another bomber from BBC won
Trail recon the day before the race!

Race #4 - Brrr-lingame 10 Miler - 3/22/14 (Scott Mason Photos)
  • DIRT!!
  • Beautiful day
  • Fast start did me in
  • Feeling like hell and looking at my watch to see we had only run 2.5 miles...
  • Fun day overall
A small leap for man....you know the rest.



Race #6 - Big River 1/2 Marathon - 4/5/14  (Scott Mason Photos)

  • Flag Thief!
  • Water crossings!
  • I saw Greg Hammett FALL! I didn't know that could happen! Well...I should say heard him fall.
  • Ran faster than last year...goal accomplished!
  • Great to get back on the Big River Trails.
There was a little mud...unless you tip-toed around it.


Now that the series is over, I turn my focus to getting ready for the Vermont 100 with a stop at the Pineland Farm 50 Miler before that.

In the meantime I will be preparing for the 1st Annual? Quahog Mile.  Please share this event with all your friends!  Post about it, link to it etc!  It would be much appreciated.  Pre-entry is ONLY $10 and there will be $1250 in prize money!  I hope to see some of you there!

Print and share!

2 comments:

  1. Loved the post, Bob. Congrats on the series win. As your chart(!) shows, consistency is key, and you were certainly consistent. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! Just over a month until the mile! Plenty of time to switch gears!!

      Delete