Friday, November 22, 2013

2013 RI 6 Hour Ultra & Relay and Li'l Rhody Runaround

The 5th Annual RI 6 Hour was on 11/10/13 and was a great success.  It was the first year that I had over 100 runners enter the ultra and I had a record number (93) toe the line on race day!  With a near record amount of relay teams, at 23, it was by far the largest the race has been.


You can check out a story about the race on Level Renner.... http://www.levelrenner.com/2013/11/21/mullins-hribar-win-at-ri-6-hr-ultra/

You can even check out a short video that was created...
http://vimeo.com/79252822


The week after the 6 hour, I toed the line at the Li'l Rhody Runaround 8 Mile Trail Race.  This was the first race in the RI Triple Crown of Trail Racing.  It was also the first race since March that I was healthy enough to actually RACE.  I was excited about being able to try and actually compete after being injured in the Spring and spending all Summer getting healthy and now finally getting into shape.  I knew that I was not in tip top shape, but I knew that I would give it a go and hope for the best!

In the end, I went out too fast, struggled a little bit to get into a groove, but then was able to focus on racing and trying to catch Jonny Hammett for the last 4 miles.  I failed at catching him, but was happy enough with the outcome.  I have run this race 5 times and this was my 2nd fastest time...so that is encouraging.

2002-1:02:52 - 84th
2008-50:39 - 6th
2009-49:30 - 9th
2010-49:03 - 5th
2013-49:29 - 8th
 
Next up....the Newport Christmas Run for Hope Almost 10k on December 15th.


2 comments:

  1. "Almost 10K"? No such thing as short courses, only fast ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...The Run for Hope has been un-measured and short for years. (not GPS short, real-life short) They have moved the start and finish around a bit, but it is still about 0.05-0.10 short. One year, someone who will remain nameless, measured the course (USATF style) before the race and put down accurate mile marks in which those in the know used. Back then it was a solid 0.1+ short. I believe it is a little less short than that now. I have asked the RD to have it certified....I was told "it is accurate" I am sure it measures 6.2 miles on a car odometer...but that is not the right way to do it and even if a car was 100% accurate...it still would leave 6.2 approximately 0.014 short of 10k, that alone at 6 min pace is 5 secs....0.05 short and you have 18 secs. Newport is where runners go to "PR". :)

      Delete