Friday, April 11, 2014

Strava Segment Hunting

The trails in Rhode Island are finally clear, other than some mud and standing water here and there.  So what does that mean?  That Strava segment records in trails all over the state are starting to change hands.  Whether it be because the runner happened upon a segment and found out about it when they uploaded a run or they were on a full out attack of a particular segment...either way the runner that had their segment stolen will probably go out there and try to get it back.  And so it starts, a war on segments..it is a domino effect really.

Last year this happened in Big River.  It was pretty much some of the TNT guys versus some of the WTAC guys.  All in good fun of course and we don't just attack other club members, our own club members are fair game as well.

I recall one night attacking a particular segment, knowing I hammered it good, going home, seeing that I got the record, only to get an email less than a half an hour later stating it was taken from me!

This theme seems to have started this year already.

Chris Garvin took down Jonny Hammett's Ryan Park, Ryan Rail Trail Segment by 21 seconds on 4/7/14.  Jonny had held that record since May of 2013.

Over the last two days I have taken down three segments in Big River.  Two of these just happened and the last one was near the end of my run and I felt good, so I attacked it.  I did not remember what the time on it was and had no clue if it was mine until I got home.  The previous owner Chris Garvin commented on my run later that night.   I think I accidentally declared war.

My new Segment Records...

  • 4/9/14 - Hopkins Hill Road Climb (actually a trail) held previously by Scott Mason who ran 2:55 in October, I ran 2:46.
  • 4/10/14 - Reverse Lollipop Loop held previously by Scott Mason who ran 8:35 in October, I ran 8:20
  • 4/10/14 - Old Lot to New Finish (I attacked this one) held previously by Chris Garvin who ran 2:25 in September, I ran 2:09.


I am sure as the Spring and Summer months go on segment records will come and go, they are everywhere, not just on the trails.  There are some specific segments that I have on my "wish list" how about you?

3 comments:

  1. Ha, ha! Great post. Indeed, it does seem to be Strava season. Let the games begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started working in East Providence - there are many segments nearby just ripe for the taking. In a few weeks my larders will be fat and I shall be the ire of the east side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, you will have a whole new set of people ready to take you down!

    ReplyDelete